Novel coronavirus update – 2 February 2020
New information is available about Novel Coronavirus.
The updated advice from SA Health is effective from Saturday 1 February 2020:
- Children or staff who travelled to mainland China must isolate themselves in their home for 14 days after leaving mainland China if they left mainland China on or after 1 February 2020.
- Children or staff who have been in close contact with a confirmed case must isolate themselves in their homes for 14 days after last contact.
- Children or staff who have returned from Hubei Province, China must isolate themselves in their home for 14 days after leaving Hubei Province.
- Staff and students in these circumstances must not attend schools, preschools or early childhood centres and should not engage with other students.
Symptoms may include fever, cough, shortness of breath, fatigue and sore throat. People with these symptoms who have travelled to China or have had close contact with a confirmed case should see a doctor or attend a hospital and call ahead so they can prepare.
Schools should support students who are unable to attend school by providing educational materials that can be completed at home.
Please inform your staff, students and families of this new advice through your communications channels. A parent letter is attached. A Mandarin translation is available upon request.
If a parent is not aware of the advice from health authorities, and a student arrives at school who should be excluded, please contact their parent/carer, inform them of the advice from health authorities and ask them to come and collect their child.
Practising good hygiene
Everyone can protect against infections by practising good hygiene. Encourage all children and staff to:
- wash their hands regularly, after using the toilet and before eating
- avoid contact with other by keeping children home if they are unwell
- cover a cough or sneeze.
Resources and posters are available from SA Health.
If you or your educators have any questions please call the department’s work health and safety team on 8226 1440 (8am to 5pm, Monday to Friday) or email education.WHS@sa.gov.au.
We will keep you updated if new information becomes available.
Marden Senior College on behalf of the Department for Education